9/08/2013

Weekly Basslines #115: Call Me The Breeze (J.J. Cale; Lynyrd Skynyrd)

In order to catch up with the various requests I received during my absence here's another one I did on this weekend.

This request came from one of my former students, who would like to add this J J Cale classic to the setlist of her band  to honour the "King of  Cool" who sadly passed away this july.
Because she wasn't sure if they like to do the original or the Lynyrd Skynyrd version I transcribed both.

The original version can be found on J.J. Cale's debut album "Naturally" from 1972.

It is in fact a 24-bar blues, which is derived from a very simple 12-bar blues by doubling the lenghth of each chord:

8 bars tonic (I), 
4 bars subdominant (IV), 4 bars tonic (I), 
2 bars dominant (V), 2 bars subdominant (IV) and 4 bars tonic (I).




The Lynyrd Skynyrd version can be found on their second studio album "Second Helping" from 1974:
 
 
 




During my research for YouTube-Videos for this song I stumbled across a very unique version of "Call Me The Breeze" from a band called "Spiritualized". Take a look:
 
 
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment