1/12/2016

Weekly Basslines #167: Heroes, Let's Dance (David Bowie)

Yesterday morning, when I turned on my computer, equipped with a big mug of coffee, scrolling through facebook & co. to see what's happening in the world, I was really struck hard by the news of David Bowie's unexpected death. Battling cancer in secret for about 18 months he put all his remaining force and energy in recording his final record and last week he released a video of himself in a hospital bed. Somehow scary but it clearly shows us how a real artist deal's with life and destiny. Bowie's long-time friend and producer Tony Visconti put it in a nutshell as he wrote on Facebook: "His death was no different from his life - a work of art." A real icon has passed away!

My personal David Bowie story began in 1980 when I was 15 years old and bought the single "Ashes To Ashes" in a local music store. I was immediately fascinated by the mysterious and odd sound and atmosphere of the song and from this moment on I was infected with the Bowie virus.
For the "Weekly Basslines" I chose the only two songs of Bowie's great heritage which I ever played live with one of my bands. I always wanted to do more, but unfortunately my band companions weren't as passionate about Bowie as I was. Maybe they will be less reluctant now!

R.I.P. David Bowie



Recently I found a cool video from BBC, where producer Toni Visconti is using the original master tapes from sessions at Hansa Studios in Berlin to break down "Heroes" track-by-track. Take a look, very interesting. Here's the link:







Here's a clip with me and the staff of my music school paying a humble tribute to the great David Bowie. His music will live on forever!



No comments:

Post a Comment