1/19/2016

Weekly Basslines #168: Life In The Fast Lane (The Eagles)

Oh no, not again.
That's what I thought this morning when I heard the news of Glenn Freys passing. Another music legend I grew up with has gone.

Just recently I started the Eagles transcriptions project, where I transcribe a whole Eagles tribute show for one of my students, who's planning a big charity event in summer this year.

Here's a song Glenn co-wrote with Don Henley and Joe Walsh that fit's perfectly to this sad moment: Thinking about what's important in life.

In a 1981 interview with the BBC, Frey explained:  
"Life In The Fast Lane' kind of expressed the stereotyped LA 'run around in your Porsche' 24 hour boogie mode that unfortunately is too true for a lot of people. It wasn't really a statement about the guys in the band, or about anybody in particular – just it's kind of disturbing to see the extremes that the bourgeois jet set will involve themselves in. For instance, disco almost turned into a lifestyle, and it's such a non-meaningful thing on which to base one's life."

And Joe Walsh added
"Yeah, that's probably true, and I think it was healthy, though, that we realized that running around and parties and fast cars are really not the answer – it's kind of a shallow way to approach why we're on this planet, and it probably came as a band consciousness."







Here's the isolated bassline to study the transcription:


R.I.P. Glenn Frey

More from the "Eagles transcriptions project":


No comments:

Post a Comment