8/07/2013

Weekly Basslines #113: Skin Tight (Ohio Players)

It's really rare that I write two posts in one day, but scrolling through the talkbass forum I found this real old post from 2010 where this song had been requested and nearly 3 years later there still is no satisfying transcription available. I had already started transcribing this song a while ago, when I was looking for cool funky basslines for a funk bass workshop I was doing, but never finished it. And so I spontaneously decided to sit down and complete that transcription right now.

Damn that's funky!!! And a real tricky rhythm too. It took me a while to realise that the recording begins on count 2. The trick is to focus on the backbeat, that's the two and four of the drum groove played by the snare drum. The main groove bassline is built around a A minor pentatonic scale (A-C-D-E-G).





Have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment